Whether you’re looking to match your natural hair color or want to try something different, choosing a color for your wig can be tricky. Since most styles come in a large selection of colors, it’s important to choose a wig hair color that will be the most flattering match for you. From skin tone to eye color, there are many factors that tie into which color will look best. The big advantage to wearing a wig is that you can easily get the color you want without chemically damaging your hair. So why not experiment and consider color beyond your natural tone? Our experienced design team has compiled a list of tips and important information to help you along your wig color journey.
1. Think carefully before choosing a color more than two shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color. When you pick a color that’s much lighter or darker than your natural hair, the result is dramatic. The safe choice is to choose a shade similar to your natural hair color, but if you are really looking for something new, consider changing the color gradually over a period of time.
2. Choose a shade that complements your skin tone. Skin tone is very important when choosing a wig color. As you age, your skin tone tends to fade. Hair color close to your own skin tone or slightly lighter will brighten your complexion and give you a more youthful look. A strong contrast between your hair and skin tone will draw more focus to your facial features.
3. Don’t forget about your eyes. If your eyes are golden brown, green, hazel, or light blue, choose a wig with dark or golden browns, chestnut, auburn, or red highlights. If your eye color is dark brown, deep blue/blue-gray, or dark hazel, choose a wig with more natural colors, such as black, brown, and blonde tones.
4. Think back to the hair color of your youth. If you were blonde when you were a child, chances are, blonde will also work for you as an adult. To match your current skin tone, choose a shade that’s slightly darker than what you had as a child.
5. Hoping for highlights? You’ll be happy to discover that both synthetic wigs and human hair wigs are pre-blended with natural-looking highlights, designed with a variety of shades that provide a rich, natural-looking color. If your wig is auburn, choose copper highlights to brighten the look. Natural brunettes look best with caramel, and blondes look best with honey tones. Open to the ombre trend? We offer ombre wigs too.
Buying a wig is exciting. With a simple change of color you can instantly change your look. Plus trying new colors is faster, easier, and won’t damage your natural hair. Don’t forget to consider your skin tone, eye color, and personality as you are making your selection. Once you meet your “color”, you’ll discover a new confident you.